Stainless steel can be beautiful. When the primary appliances are made from this rust-resistant material, almost any kitchen décor is immediately upgraded. These stainless-steel appliances glisten and light up your kitchen making it a very enjoyable room to be in.
However, all that glitters does not always shine all the time. These stainless-steel appliances can get dirty and something needs to be done. To find out how to clean these beautiful appliances and return that glistening look to your kitchen, just continue to read our article. It has the tips and instructions you need to know about to do a good job.
How to Clean Your Stainless-Steel Fridge
1. What Not to Use
Stainless steel is a strong material but there are different go-to cleansers that should not be used to clean this appliance. Hard water is not a chemical, but it does leave water spots and stains that are equally hard to remove.
Also, cleansers with chlorine, ammonia, or oven cleaners should not be used. They will harm your stainless-steel finish. Then, avoid using abrasive cleaning tools like steel wool, hard sponges, and similar items. They can scratch the surface fairly easily.
2. Read the Manual
You never know when the manufacturer places a special coating on the stainless steel or not. The best way to know how to clean a fridge made from that material is to read the owner’s manual or any cleaning instructions written by the maker.
That information will give you data you do not normally have and help you avoid using the wrong materials when you clean those fingerprints, etc., off the fridge.
3. Use the Proper Cloth Materials
Lint-free is one of the key characteristics any cleaning cloth should have. These cloths are soft and do not leave part of themselves behind for you to clean up. Your fridge should be spotless when you use the right cloth.
Also, you should wipe in the same direction the grain is going. The grain goes either horizontally or vertically, and you may have to look closely to find the direction.
Use the Proper Natural Cleansers
Chemicals are easy to use and do a great job in cleaning up fingerprints and other grime off of appliances. However, chemicals may not be healthy for you to use or they may damage the stainless-steel finish. The best way to clean is to use natural cleaning solutions. Here are some natural options you can use to get the job done right:
1. Warm Water & A Nice Cloth– Sometimes this will be all you will need. A daily wipe with a nice soft cloth following the grain does the trick.
2. Vinegar & Water- Vinegar is a go-to natural cleanser that is safe on stainless steel. Combined with water, your dirt issue should be a thing of the past. Mix equal parts of both ingredients in a spray bottle, then spray and wipe.
3. Baking Soda & Water– Mix a little baking soda with a little water until it becomes a paste. Spread the mixture over the tough stains and let sit for 15 minutes approx., then use a soft-bristled toothbrush to do the scrubbing. Wipe away with a damp clean, soft cloth.
4. Club Soda– It is a nice natural cleanser that only needs to be sprayed on and wiped off. It doesn’t need any partners to do the job either.
5. Lemon Juice– Another natural product that doesn’t need help to clean your stainless-steel appliance. It is a simple wipe on and wipe off cleaning tool.
6. Rubbing Alcohol– Good for tough stains., Just dab a little on, wait for a second or two then gently rub the stain away.
Some Honorable Mentions
There are other household products you can use that are natural cleansers and which work on stainless-steel. These can bring the shine back to your appliance once you have cleaned. Olive oil is one option and you do not need a lot to get the most shine.
Dab a little one and rub along the grain until the shine appears again. Then you can use lemon oil and again, a little goes a long way. A few drops and gentle rubbing should do the trick.
Finally, there is baby or mineral oil. A clean cloth is needed as well as only a few drops to bring that luster back to the appliance.
Cleaning the natural way is one of the safest methods you can use. The great part about using natural cleansers is that they are safe for the family.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.