If there is mold in the refrigerator do not worry. This is a problem, but it is not uncommon. Mold loves to grow in refrigerators. There are various things spilled inside the refrigerator and mold loves environments that are dark and moist. If there is mold in your refrigerator, then it does need to be removed for health reasons. In this article, we will discuss how to clean mold from a fridge in detail.
Steps to Clean Mold Out of the Fridge
If you are also facing the problem of having mold in your refrigerator, before doing anything with the mold it is important to unplug the refrigerator. This is done just to be on the safe side. Once the refrigerator is unplugged put gloves on the hand to protect them from the mold.
Step 1 – All of the food needs to be removed from the refrigerator. Anything open and uncovered needs to be thrown away as the mold spores may have gotten in it.
Step 2 – Fill the kitchen sink or a large bucket with warm water and dish soap. This will help clean out the refrigerator. To make a cleaning solution for the mold put warm water into a bucket and add around a tablespoon of baking soda. Make sure it mixed well.
Remove all the drawers, racks, and other parts of the refrigerator that can be detached. Put them in the sink with soapy water and allow them to soak.
Using the baking soda solution clean the interior of the refrigerator. This includes the wall, frame, and anything else inside.
Do not clean the gaskets with this mixture. The interior may need to be wiped down more than once.
Using a dry cloth wipe down the interior. All of the water needs to be removed.
Step 3 – The rubber gasket seal is sensitive, so it needs to be cleaned with care. Put a little water into a spray bottle and add around a teaspoon of white vinegar. Shake it up to mix everything well. This mixture is then sprayed on the gaskets. It should be allowed to sit for 5 minutes. After this get a toothbrush and scrub the gaskets. Rinse them with cold water and dry them with a clean cloth. Once the gaskets are cleaned check the seal of the refrigerator for mold. If there is mold spray it down with the vinegar solution. Wait 5 minutes and then rinse with clean water. Dry it with another clean cloth.
Step 4 – Once the refrigerator is clean it is time to go back and make sure the shelves are cleaned. They will need to be scrubbed using a sponge. Once they are all clean they need to be rinsed with water and set out to air dry.
Once everything is dry put the shelves back into the refrigerator. At this time the refrigerator can be plugged back into the power source and can then be restocked.
Tips to Keep the Mold from Growing Back
This cleaning process is meant to get rid of the mold. Mold in the refrigerator is bad for a person’s health and can come back at any time so it is important to take some steps to keep the mold from growing back. Following are some tips to help a person get rid of mold in the refrigerator and keep the mold from coming back.
- To remove the smell of mold put a box of baking soda in the refrigerator to take in the odor.
- At one time it was suggested to use bleach to get rid of mold. While bleach is effective it may damage the refrigerator. The baking soda and water mixture is a better choice.
- To prevent the mold from growing back it is important to keep the refrigerator clean.
The refrigerator should be cleaned with soapy water at least yearly. If a person notices that it is getting dirty they should clean it more frequently.
- The interior of the refrigerator needs to stay dry. Mold likes moisture and if there are still they need to be cleaned up immediately. This will help reduce the chance of mold growth.
- It is important to store foods properly. Fruits and vegetables can grow mold easily. They are also a carrier for mold. They should be stored in an airtight container. They need to be removed from the packages that they can in. These packages contain moisture and this can lead to further development of mold and fungus.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.