How to Clean a Microwave with a Lemon
Microwaves are hard-working appliances. In some situations, it is the hardest working appliance next to the fridge. The latter works 24 7 while the former may work 7 days a week but not every hour. In that time, the microwave can get very dirty.
One of the best ways to clean this or any appliance is to use natural ingredients. That way you can keep harsh chemicals away from your food and drinks. Lemons are a great natural product to use, and they can be fairly inexpensive as well.
To learn how to clean your microwave with lemon, just continue to read our article. it has the information to get the job done right as well as fast.
How to Clean a Microwave with Lemon Juice
The supplies you will need are a microwavable bowl, some water, and a lemon. That is it.
1. Place about 1/2 cup of water inside the bowl, cut the lemon in half and squeeze all the juice into the water. Make sure to get it all.
2. Next, place the rest of the lemon inside the bowl along with the water and juice.
3. Now, put the bowl inside your microwave and place it in the center of the revolving platter. Close the door and turn the power on high and the timer to 5 minutes.
The time can vary depending on how powerful your microwave is and how good or bad the interior looks.
4. After the timer has gone off and the microwave has turned itself off, wait a few more minutes. You want that lemon juice steam to adhere to the caked-on stains and food particles.
Once that is done, the stains, etc., should be loosened and you can merely wipe them away. But before you do, remove the bowl, plate, and ring so you have nothing in your way as you wipe.
Use a damp cloth, to begin with, and make sure to wipe every inch of the microwave’s interior. When you are done cleaning, rinse and then let dry. The whole process should only take you about 30 minutes or so.
How to Deodorize Your Microwave
In an office situation, you never know what will be cooked or heated up inside that appliance. To keep the odor transfer away, no one likes a fish smell on their mac and cheese, there is a simple method you can use.
All you have to do is cut one lemon in half and set it in the middle of the microwave plate. Close the door and turn your microwave on for about 5 minutes. Set the temperature level to high and wait.
After you hear the ending ding, don’t rush to open the door. Just let the lemon cool. As it cools it should deodorize the interior of the microwave and get it fresh smelling again.
1. Make sure to use a soft cloth or non-abrasive sponge when the wiping step of this process arrives. You do not want to damage the ceramics inside or the enamel. Harsh cleaners and the wrong cleaning cloth can cause a lot of harm to your microwave especially if you rub too hard.
2. Always remove the platter and ring after the steam has done its job. Not only does this make it easier to clean, but you can also soak those two items in lemon juice, vinegar, or baking soda and water.
This should cut your cleaning time down a little bit and makes sure nothing is left out of the cleaning process.
3. When the stains and food particles are stubborn, do not be afraid to dip your cleaning cloth into the lemon and water solution. The extra cleaning power will help soften and remove those stubborn stains.
You can also use vinegar and baking soda if the lemon water does not thoroughly clean the appliance.
4. If you do not have fresh lemons on hand, you can always use some lemon juice from the bottle. It will be easier to use and less messy.
5. Then if you have some older lemons around that you do not want to eat, just use them instead of a new one. The lemon juice is still powerful in older lemons and you won’t lose any cleaning power when you make this substitution.
Some Final Words
Cleaning with lemons does two jobs at once. Not only do you get your microwave’s interior nice and clean, as well as germ-free, but you can also deodorize at the same time. Also, if you think your water will get so hot that the container will burst, simply place a wooden toothpick or skewer in the container to help release the heat.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.