There is a Solution
When your Corian countertop gets dull or loses its luster, there is a way to make it look new again. The process will take some work but the effort, in the end, will be worth it. You just have to do the process right.
There is always a right way and a wrong way to do something. To learn the right way of polishing your Corian countertop, just continue to read our article. It has the information you need to know about so your Corian countertop shines again.
Revitalizing Your Corian Countertop
This is a step-by-step guide to help you do this project. Revitalizing the surface is the only way to return the countertop to its former glory. The good news is that there are not that many steps involved in the process.
Step 1: Clean the Surface
Polish does not adhere that well when the countertop is dirty. Make sure to use a good cleaner that will not damage the surface. Also, rinse well as you do not want any residue left behind that may interact with the polish.
Let the surface dry before moving on to the next step. You have a wide array of cleaners to choose from. There are few ammonia-based options, vinegar and water, soap and water, and bleach and water, along with numerous commercial cleaners.
Always use a clean cloth in every facet of this step to make sure the counter gets totally clean.
Step 2: Sand Out Scratches and Burns, Etc.
After getting the surface clean, the next task is to get rid of those unsightly marks that ruin your kitchen’s look. A little fine-grit sandpaper and a slow-moving orbital sander will get most of the surface cleaned of those marks and burns. You should hand sand the edges and the corners to make sure you get an even application of the polish.
Also, you should dampen the surface before sanding to help trap any of the dust and keep it from going everywhere. You do not need a lot of pressure as you do not want to create more damage.
After you are done, vacuum the dust-up and then use a damp cloth to get any dust the vacuum could not pick up. Then get ready for the final step.
Step 3: Polish the Surface
You need a good commercial countertop polish that works well with Corian materials. Not every polish product out there will work with this type of surface so read the labels closely to make sure.
If the product label does not specifically say it is okay to use on Corian surfaces, ask a professional if it does or not. Once you have the polish in hand, follow the instructions on the label to do the job right.
The trick is to place the polish directly onto the counter and then wipe with a soft, clean cloth. You need to be thorough and get every inch of the surface or you may have a splotchy look to your kitchen.
Some Tips to Revitalizing Your Corian Countertop
1. Keep the Counter Clean All the Time- Wipe up spills right away and give the counter surface a good cleaning every day.
2. Use a Cloth to Dry the Surface- Make sure it is truly dry and do not let it air dry. That method leaves a film behind.
3. Remove Scratches Frequently- Even if you take great care in using your Corian countertop, scratches find a way to get on the surface. Remove the scratches every 2 to 3 months to keep your countertop looking good.
4. Do Not Delay in Polishing the Countertop- Do this right after buffing so that dirt does not find its way back and you do not lose that shiny look to the surface.
5. Try to Protect Your Surface- Use cutting boards, heat pads, and other protective items to keep scratches and burn marks off the surface.
6. Don’t Let Hot Water or Any Water Sit on the Countertop- This will allow germs to grow and infect your food, etc. Always use a cloth to dry the surface to prevent this from happening.
Always disinfect your surface with bleach, ammonia, or vinegar. That way bacteria will not find a home on the surface.
Some Final Words
It will take a little time to do this project so make sure you leave yourself with plenty of time. You do not want to hurry this task as you will end up making mistakes and ruining your effort.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.