While microwaves look like they can be cleaned normally, looks can be deceiving. You do need to watch the type of cleansers you use as some do not treat the microwave’s interior very well.
Since many microwaves are made with ceramic or enamel interiors abrasive cleansers are not to be used to clean those models. The best way to clean a microwave is by using household products you already have in your kitchen.
To learn how to use the right cleaning supplies that won’t harm your microwave, just continue to read our article. It has that information and the steps you need to take to get the job done right.
The Steps to Clean Your Microwave
1. Supplies Needed
You will need your favorite dish soap, a bowl, a sponge, and some warm water. Once these items are gathered move on to step 2.
2. Mix the Soap
This is an easy step as you do not need a large amount of soap inside the bowl.
Make sure the bowl is microwavable and will not damage your appliance. Once you have enough, and you do not need a lot of soap in the bowl, pour in the warm water and mix well.
3. Place the Bowl in the Microwave
Put the bowl in the center of the revolving plate and close the door. Then turn the dial to maximum power and set the timer for 3 to 4 minutes. Once that is done, turn the microwave on and wait.
You need to let the solution come to a boil.
4. Let the Solution Remain Inside
After the microwave has ended and the solution has boiled, let the solution remain inside the microwave for another 10 to 15 minutes. This will allow the water to evaporate and soften any grease or other food particles.
5. Use a Sponge
After, the 15 minutes are up, moisten a sponge and rub the bar of soap over it. You want to create a nice foam on the sponge. When you have that ready, open the door, remove the bowl and begin to wipe the interior.
Most of the grease and other stains should come off easily but be prepared for those stubborn stains. It may take a little more elbow grease to get them removed.
6. Rinse After Washing
When you have finished scrubbing the microwave’s interior, you need to rinse the sponge and get it free from all the soap you put on it. When that is done, moisten the sponge and rinse the soap off the walls, ceiling, and floor of the appliance.
Let the microwave dry and you should leave the door open for 15 minutes to facilitate that drying process. Once it is dry, close the door and get ready to use your microwave once again.
Some Tips to Consider
1. When the boiling step is over, you can remove the revolving platter from your microwave. This allows you to clean the interior a lot easier. Place the platter in your sink filled with warm to hot soapy water and let it soak till you are done with the microwave.
After you have finished with the appliance, clean the platter and let both dry before returning that plate to its spot in the microwave.
2. If your microwave is equipped with a ventilation fan, it is a good move to turn it on for about 5 minutes or so. The soapy mixture may leave an unpleasant odor inside the microwave when combined with the grease and other food particles. That should rid the oven of those bad smells.
3. If you do not have a microwave with a ventilating fan, put some salt inside a small container and place the container inside the appliance and close the door. You will only need a tablespoon or two of salt for this.
Leave the container with the salt inside overnight and by morning all the humidity and smell should be eliminated.
Some Final Words
No one likes cleaning but if you learn the right techniques, you can get through those cleaning chores quickly and easily. using a little soap protects your expensive appliance and makes sure all the dirt, grease, and grime are gone. The good part about this method is that you can do other cleaning chores at the same time.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.